March 11, 2017
5 tips to help your car’s tyres last longer 0
Tyres are expensive. Naturally as drivers, we want to get as much life out of our tyres as possible but it’s important not to take risks. If your tyres need to be replaced, it’s better to just bite the bullet and do it, as worn tyres are a serious safety concern. However, there are ways of treating your tyres that will prolong their lifespan. Simple but regular maintenance helps ensure your vehicle and its parts last a good long time. Some of the tips below will no doubt be familiar, or things you were perhaps avoiding. Others may be things you’ll want to get in the habit of doing in the future.
- Ensure your tyres are properly inflated. Without doubt, one of the simplest forms of car maintenance but also one of the most neglected. So many drivers fail to keep their tyre pressure at the correct level. If in doubt, consult your car’s owner manual. This will tell you the correct psi (pounds-per-square-inch) for your model, you can then use a tyre gauge to check, and fill your tyres if necessary. Under-inflated tyres WILL wear more quickly.
- Maintain proper alignment and rotate. Every now and then, it’s a good idea to get a vehicle service technician to check your alignment. If your tyres are not aligned properly, then the chances are that they will wear unevenly. This could lead to you having to replace your tyres simply due to one bald patch whilst the remainder is in good condition.
- Avoid potholes and other rough terrain. A pothole can do a surprising amount of damage to your vehicle. Even scraping the kerb during parking can cause wear and tear on your tyres. Avoid uneven terrain as much as possible, as it can lead to damage to the tyre’s sidewall. This also applies to driving in a way that could cause more wear to your tyres then necessary.
- Keep them clean. Just like you clean the rest of your car, you should ensure you’re also paying attention to your tyres and wheels. This will prevent corrosive dirt from staying on there too long. You can also treat your tyres to specialist protective products that protect them from harmful UV rays, which cause them to wear faster.
- Use the right tyres for your vehicle. This might sound like stating the obvious, but it’s surprising how many drivers use the wrong tyres for their vehicle. A tyre that is undersized won’t be able to maximise its intended life expectancy.
Relatively speaking, maintaining the longevity of your tyres is not that difficult. It just requires a little extra care and attention!
For affordable, convenient and top quality car servicing from industry professionals choose Servicing Stop – All offers include FREE car collection and delivery plus a 12-month parts and labour guarantee!